Ownership rights are an integral part of our everyday lives. Here is what could happen if we no longer had Ownership Rights:
- Selling a used book, iPhone, or pair of shoes on Amazon, eBay, or at your local flea market could be illegal.
- Giving away a couch away on Craigslist could result in prosecution for being an unauthorized distributor.
- Libraries would not be able to lend out books.
- Redbox and Blockbuster would not be able to rent out movies.
- Retailers that obtain their products from a source other than the original manufacturer – which most retailers do – would be engaging in illegal activity.
- Consumers could pay more for everyday items purchased online because with less competition, manufacturers could impose higher costs.
- Donating clothes to charitable organizations would be considered unauthorized distributions.